It is not unusual for travelers to shop when they are in their destination. If you are in a country where prices for goods and other commodities are quite cheap, you would want to hoard a lot of stuff. You are tempted to buy more than necessary. Moreover, people cannot help but buy things they do not have in their own country.
As a result of this shopping spree, the usual light weight of the bag turns heavier. If it is any consolation, you are heading home already and carrying a heavier baggage is better after a good vacation.
But still, you would want to carry your luggage easily. Here are some tips you should consider:
1. When buying your luggage, do not just buy the size that can fit the items you are bringing with you. Also allot some space for the things you are going to purchase there. You can also purchase an extra bag when you are in your destination just in case you have shopped a lot.
If you don't know how much stuff you are going to bring back, choose expandable types of luggage.You can unzip some parts for extra space. This will give your bag more space for your shopped goods.
2. Also measure weight of the bag without the contents. The materials have to be durable but lightweight. Choose those with durable hooded casters. Casters made from cheap plastic cannot roll easily. You might end up carrying or dragging your bag. Invest in a good luggage with a good quality.
3. Pack lightly. Remind yourself that you might end up buying stuff where you are going and you need the extra space inside your bag. Bring only one pair of shoes and make sure it is comfortable enough. Plan your outfit so you do not end up bringing more clothes. Transfer the contents of big bath products to small travel sizes so they can easily fit in your bag. Strategize packing so that you'll have more space.
4. When shopping, consider the products you are buying. If you can buy those items in your country, you might as well save the space in your bag for other rare or inaccessible products.
5. Before going to the airport and going back home, measure the weight of your luggage again just in case you have exceeded the weight limit. You might have to spend a bit more on excess weight of checked luggage.